Monday, July 9, 2012

First Day of Clinic


It was the first day of clinic, which was held at a nearby school in Long An Province, and my job today was Intake. In the beginning, patients were rushing in with all of their invitation forms in one big pile, which made Intake’s job of filling out intake forms pretty much impossible. I stood by with the other Intake members watching patients bombarding CeCe with questions and I felt really confused and worried that the day would end in complete chaos. Suddenly, I was moved to the Triage table to help translate.

Intake was able to improvise and the forms were filled out at the triage table while Intake worked on controlling the extremely large crowd of patients waiting outside the clinic.  Soon, the patients were being systematically let in to the clinic and the patient flow began to run more smoothly. I spent most of my time helping to translate and fill out Intake forms at Ron’s and Alex’s triage table (as well as converting the thermometer readings from Fahrenheit to Celsius - thanks, Will for letting us use your phone!). 


Triage had finished first so the local people working at the clinic pushed together all the tables so we could sit and eat (cháo and cá). Overall, I really enjoyed being able to communicate with the patients and I was happy whenever they understood what I was saying (and whenever they thanked me =)). We had officially finished our first day of clinic and are now looking forward to tomorrow for new clinic roles, lessons, and adventures.


- Vivien 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment