Monday, July 9, 2012

Clinic Day 1: Another Perspective

One of the most interesting things about travel is when you experience the people. Whether it is watching them interact with one another or interacting with them, foreign human interaction is always a point of intrigue. I'm sure many of you are thinking that I'm talking about the differences between our cultures and norms, but what I am actually referring to are the similarities shared between us...

... An old fragile man had just finished being consulted by a doctor when his younger friend swooped in to help him. The older man must have been in his 90s, or at least heading to it. He moved extremely slowly stuggling just to lift a finger all the while maintaining a spirited attitude. Let's call him Bob. In contrast, his younger friend, who was in his 60s or 70s, was extremely lively physically and like his older friend, just as spirited. We can call him Joe. What I liked about these two men was the friendship they showed. Bob was sent to get his insides examined by the EKG and ultrasound across the location and Joe remained by him all the way. At first I tried to help Bob but Joe insisted in he help Bob alone. It was endearing watching the old men be together, with the Joe acting like a personal cheerleader and Bob playfully saying that he walk on his own, which led to Joe teasing him saying that he'd break his hip without his help. I chuckled at this small moment of friendship...

Bob and Joe

... Another experience was when Jonathan and I found a 10-month old baby. The mother was struggling to divide her attention between the doctor and her child and the baby definitely felt this. She was crying in desperation for attention and I couldn't help but want to make her stop crying. I was first able to grab her attention just by staring at her and playing peek-a-boo. Eventually Jonathan joined me and we created a shifty little dance to keep her captivated. She finally let out a tiny smile and seeing that just made my heart melt. I couldn't even describe the feeling...

Jonathan and myself entertaining a baby.



No comments:

Post a Comment