Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The day before our departure.

Upon realizing that I was not able to find my passport in my apartment just days before the trip…

Anton: “Mom, I don’t know what to do… I can’t find my passport… what can I do?”
Mother: “Don’t worry, I have it. I found it lying around and kept it from you in order to teach you to take better care of your things. You always lose things…”

Into my backpack they go!

    
  That conversation occurred on the Monday of the week we were to leave for Viet Nam. Truthfully, I wasn’t able to get excited along with the rest of the MEMObers solely because I was not able to find my passport until then.  I had been stressing out about my passport for weeks and was envious of the people who were getting excited while I would go day by day worried about the possibility of not going on the trip.

Tanks on tanks on tanks.

  
   The relief from the moment I found out where my passport was felt like a release. I felt like I could FINALLY get excited for this trip. After the firecracker explosiveness of finding my passport, my excitement level was just about steaming throughout Monday night. It was simmering Wednesday when I went to go buy some supplies. There is nothing that will quicken the approach of an event more than shopping, where you go out and find the necessary materials for your departure.

Some necessities.

     I’m sorry, I lied. There is actually something that will make the trip come sooner, and that is packing. Especially when you've lagged, and started just hours before you leave for the airport. Despite the looming mini-anxiety of forgetting something important, my excitement for the trip was at an all-time high. I was jittery and could not sit still for the life of me.


     As I packed my articles of clothing into my Ziploc bags, it slowly dawned on me what I am about to embark on. The realization of the work I’m about to do, the people I’m about to help, that I will be coming back to my homeland. 


- Anton

                                                               

No comments:

Post a Comment